Tuesday, January 28, 2014

rediscovering my lifeline




This morning I was listening to Charles Stanley's message on "When You Feel Frustrated," speaking about God giving a restlessness of the heart when He is trying to move you towards something.  "Little by little He moves you -- stirring up your heart full of agitation and restlessness until you come to Him."

Man, Charles Stanley -- you hit the nail on the head!!!

This past summer, I was so restless. I felt anxiety like I have never felt before.  I couldn't sleep past 5am -- and that is NOT like me.  I love my sleep.  But I had to get up!  It was like I couldn't think or even breathe until I heard from Him.  My dog and I would take long walks, listening to sermons.  After the walk, I would plant myself on the back porch and just read God's word.  I would draw, read, pray, and listen.  It was the ONLY way I could feel any peace in my heart.  And I have honestly only felt that way one other time in my life -- when I lost my fiance at the age of 24 in a car accident.

I knew there were big changes going on in my heart.

And this change has been the greatest gift of all time -- I rediscovered my lifeline, my Bible.  It is no longer something I just study.  It IS my lifeline.  It is my direct line to God's leading in my life.  He speaks directly to me through His word -- giving me advice on how to live my life TODAY -- on what decisions to make.  He speaks directly to my heart -- giving me a peace that I can find nowhere else.  If you see me out and about, you know that His word is close by.  I have to have it near me.

When anxiety creeps up (my restlessness) I run to His word to fill my heart with the peace that only He can give.

I've been a believer since the age of 15 -- and I look back and see so many seasons of my life.  I love His leading.  I love looking back and seeing that God can bring good out of everything I encounter, everything I endure.  And I love this new sense of HUNGER for His word.  Yes, it came out of a season of great difficulty.  But I wouldn't trade that season of difficulty for anything -- for in it I heard directly from God as I traveled down that pathway.  Blessed.




No comments:

Post a Comment